First Update!

Hello everyone! πŸ˜„

It's been almost 2 weeks into the GSoC coding period, and the project has picked up the pace!

But first things first,
Community Bonding Period:
I and Ignacy KuchciΕ„ski were selected for the project "Revamp New Documents Sub-menu", which led to an unexpected situation, but Ignacy has explained how we solved it in their blog.
So the main aim of my project now is to design the UI for the New Documents creation feature when the user is using at least one template i.e when the templates folder is not empty. We had a few more discussions during this time, mainly on chat, further planning for the coding period.

Week 1:
So finally it was the 13th of June, and the coding period began. πŸŽ‰
For me, the first week was full of confusion, as to how should I get started and where should I write the code. But having a few discussions with my mentor and going through a lot of blogs and resources, we finally had a plan. 
The current implementation of the New Documents submenu is a GtkPopoverMenu. It uses the GMenuModel, which is added as submenus in the right-click popover menu. 
What we plan to do is to expose all the templates in a single-view, tree-like structure!
So how are we supposed to do this? Well, the answer is GtkListView as a custom child widget in the popover menu model. And for a GtkListView, we need a GListModel or more specifically GtkTreeListModel as well as a factory to create list items. This will result in a design similar to this:


Week 2:
So now, with the planning done, the actual coding started. As of writing this, the GListModel is almost complete, and now I need to work on the GtkTreeListModel and a factory for creating list items. I will also be adding icons that will help visually recognize what type of file it is! I'll keep you all updated on my progress. πŸ’ͺ

Lastly, 
I would like to thank my mentor @antoniof for guiding me through every step of this process, as all these concepts were completely new to me 😊

Thanks for reading,
See you in a week or two! πŸ˜‰

Comments

Popular Posts